When the saints go marching in...

I want to be one of them.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

I like to read in uncomfortable places

 

...actually, I'm not sure it's true that I like reading in uncomfortable circumstances, but I do it consistently, sometimes for hours on end. For instance, Thursday I found an interesting novel on the Barnes and Noble best sellers table and stood there for about an hour at the table, bag hurting my shoulder, neck craning, back aching, feet hurting from a full day of standing. Why didn't I just take the book to one of the many seating options available at the bookstore? I may never know. I'll read for hours on end sitting on the hardwood floor at home because I'm grubby from work and haven't showered yet...(why not take a quick 5 minute shower so I can actually sit on the furniture?) or I'll be freezing cold because I don't have a sweater, or I'll be absolutely famished with the kitchen 5 steps away, or I'll be reading a book in the bathtub after the water has turned cold and the back of the tub is forcing my neck into a crampy right angle. Why, why, why do I do this??? I'll pick up a book "just for a minute" and get absorbed. It's like my brain only has room for one thing at a time. Once I'm into a story, it uses up all the space in my head so that bodily needs and functions barely enter my peripheral thoughts. I'll wake up from the book and realize that the nagging feeling in the back of my mind was some limb or other has been cramped for an hour and a half. The end result usually being that the next day I suffer from reading soreness. Have you ever suffered from reading soreness? I am going to make it a goal this summer to master the art of comfortable reading. Haha, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment