When the saints go marching in...

I want to be one of them.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Home on the Range

Today on the way home from church I passed what looked like a dead porcupine on the side of the road...except that the spikes were much thicker and sinister looking. I wonder if it is a sign.

I was not feeling very worshipful in church this morning and found myself judging a rather exuberant worship leader. Stupid of me. I was predisposed to grumpiness because of being 5 minutes late. (5 minutes?! Really, Em, you couldn't have gotten yourself together 5 minutes sooner?) Then I made the mistake of following some people into a different parking lot, thinking they knew something I didn't. Turns out, they didn't know anything I didn't and I ended up trudging through snow trying to get to the real parking lot and then having to walk around the back of the building in the freezing wind plus I dropped my pen. (I am always dropping my pen in church. I really must find a better way of securing it...) Anyway, worship seemed a bit...fake for me this morning.

On my way home I decided not to buy gas, which I will most certainly regret tomorrow, but so be it. I wanted to get home before Karen so I could do my devotions without distraction. I got as far as making myself some hot chocolate (I've been putting Cuban coffee in my hot chocolate lately. Hot dog, that's good!) and reading about the details of Solomon's palace. Why is this in the Bible? I know everything is there for a reason...but really, why? After describing the details of the temple, can't they just say, "And Solomon's palace was really great too." I can understand why the temple details are important, but why must we know that Solomon's hall was lined with cedar? How droll. When Karen got home with Andrew, I gladly interrupted my devotions at the prospect of lunch.

During lunch-making, Karen delicately suggested that I might consider cleaning the range (stove-top, that is). This will be a difficult task to complete without singing "Home on the..." Sometimes I think that living with Karen must be a bit like being married, only without all the commitment. She has all the intuition/motivation to do things around the apartment that women normally posses and I seem to be doomed to blindness with regard to apartment upkeep issues. I'm glad to help when I can of course...I'm just not good at realizing what needs to be done. Case in point, I'm not sure I ever would have thought of cleaning the range had Karen not suggested it be cleaned. Today, because of a very dusty episode with my curtains, I asked Karen if she ever washed her curtains. She said no, but she does vacuum them. Hmmm. Unfortunately, I fear mine need washed. This means I've got to disassemble the curtain rod/cardboard wrapping paper tube get up that I've rigged. Hmph.

Last night I had a new friend over. We had dinner and watched "Emma." It was nice. I actually had a friend over in Towson. Wow! I've been finding that, due to my efforts to keep up my friendships in Annapolis, I don't actually have very many friends in Towson. I'm trying to remedy this. Then I won't be so lonely when I'm forced to stay in Towson of a weekend. (What the heck? "Of a weekend?" Am I living in 18th century England?)

I suppose I'll do something useful now. Sigh. I didn't do half the things I meant to do yesterday, but I did spend an inordinate amount of time dancing around my bedroom to swing music. Heck, this entry is crazy long.

I'm glad I wore happy socks today.

No comments:

Post a Comment