When the saints go marching in...

I want to be one of them.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I have to write this poem

(I really did have to write this poem.)

I have to write a poem,
Oh what a difficult task,
Next week, what will I show 'em?
Oh goodness, I dare not ask.

It's 'sposed to be about me,
I'll probly be up all night,
I know I'll get stuck with a 'D'.
I cannot think what to write.

Should I write about sailing,
The sport of my town?
Or Honey Dog wailing,
A siren to drown.

Should I write about dinner?
When I yell down the stair,
"Eating with or without you!"
Delay if you dare.

Should I rhyme about summer?
Hot and sticky to boot,
Wearing no shoes, Oh bummer!
I stepped on a root.

Compose lines about crisp air?
The woodstove smoke curls,
Autumn's leaves everywhere,
Flying up into swirls.

Should I mention the tuna?

That's what we like --
The green kind of tuna,
"And don't call me Mike!"

Should I talk about side-kicks?
We’re “grown-up” and yet,
We still can quote chic flicks,
Whole movies, I bet.

Should I write about meeting,
My Grandmom at three?
A fish sandwich she's eating,
She prays oft’ for me.

Should I write about Sundays,
"Run to finish the race,"
Not by my own ways,
But only God's grace.

Should I speak of the Giver,
Whose mercies unfurled,
Like the long glistening river,
That flows through my world?

Should I write 'bout my folks,
My family tree,
Mom and Dad's jokes,
Ry, Cristina, Dorrie?

Should I write about porch nights,
With coils all lit,
Conversation and no lights,
Mosquitoes and wit?

Sigh,

I think homework's so dumb,
Poems take so much time,

Wait...

Where'd these stanzas come from?
...look at that they all rhyme!

1 comment: