When the saints go marching in...

I want to be one of them.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I was not a baby person.

I was NOT a baby person. What do babies do? They drool. They poop. They spit up. They cry. They smell...weird. Give me a little kid any day, but not a baby.

...But people go nuts over babies. Women shop in the baby section and impulse buy for babies of their friends, relations and roommate's cousins. Why is this? All this fuss over babies. I didn't get it.

Then I found out that my very own brother was about to plunge into the realm of fatherhood and what did I do? I bought a picture book on impulse. I told myself this did NOT mean I was turning into a baby person. It was a good deal. It was a good book. Who knew if I'd find it again? I only had to hang onto it for about 7-8 months.

Let me tell you, a piggy blanket, pig outfit (Ry if you're reading, don't tell Cristina), 3 picture books, one hand stitched "Dorothy Jean" art project, and 2 cute little outfits later...I'm not doing a good job keeping myself convinced about my status as a non-baby person.

Now that Dorothy's born, I find myself looking pitifully at whoever's holding her in hopes that they'll give her up. I've begun comparing each baby I see to my niece: "Oh, that baby looks like Dorothy!" (Yeah, Em, they are both babies...) Last night I caught myself jumping at the chance to change a diaper. Oh, poop. That's the number one symptom of being a baby person.

1 comment:

  1. If you want, you can be the Diaper Diva at family gatherings. I won't mind.

    ReplyDelete